The myth of pure rational inquiry

I am not neutral. I assume (my presupposition) a great many things when I seek the truth about a certain statement. First I presume that the language that I am seeking the answer in can communicate in such a way that other people (most importantly myself for I am the one employing it) can understand. Second I am assuming that truth can be known. Not everyone shares this presupposition so that makes me non-neutral there as well. I will seek the Scriptures and pray to God in Jesus’ name when faced with a decision that I am unclear on and need some wisdom from Him. Fourth I will employ my rational mind and senses (if necessary) to make sense of the statement presuming that I know when to use each and when one or the other will inhibit my pursuit of truth. Fifth I will understand that my perspective of the situation is, by definition, incomplete for there may be other people with a different perspective or more thorough understanding of the statement and situation so I will seek counsel and perspective where that becomes important. Also I will understand that my world can be misinterpreted by me because I am not only finite, I may let my sin nature, although defeated, control my thought process and actions.

No, I am not neutral and this is only a small portion of the thousands of assumptions and presuppositions I make on a daily basis. The Bible says that no one is neutral hence no one can make a purely rational or even sensual investigation of a truth claim. That is total depravity. And whether we ascribe to the Arminian or Calvinistic view of the grace of God in salvation and sanctification one thing is clear: only through God’s grace can we make sense out of this world and come to the truth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer