God? Self-centered? Yes and Amen!

This is my first time using the Word plug-in for Blogger, so we’ll see how it goes.

One of the things that I am grateful for in attending a Regular Baptist Church is their view of the magnificence and awesomeness of God. Even thought I may not fall into line with their views on absolutely everything about how God works, I can say that never in my life have I been able to put the pieces of the more important questions in place like I am able to do know. Putting pieces in place is all we can do – for God is much too big for us to understand everything about anything.

I had a conversation last night with some family members about the reason why God created the world. Given our incessant focus on the revealed truth of God in the Bible, we turn to it for the answers. The Bible paints a startling picture of God who created the world because He wanted to. And what were His motives for doing so? Desire begs the question of why someone desires to do something. Why did I make coffee this morning? Why did I wait until 6:15 to get out of bed?

God’s motive for creating the world is even more startling – to bring glory to Himself. There is no more deserving personality than God for all the glory we can give Him, but doesn’t that seem so self-centered? Yes. Yes and Amen! I, for one, am glad that God is so self-centered. Maybe I should modify that a bit and say I am glad that God is who He is and that He is so self-centered. A faithful, loving, merciful, holy, just, righteous, immutable God can be as self-centered as He wishes. Ugh, as if He needs my permission to do so.

My joy and utter satisfaction is found in the self-centeredness of this God. For I am His, and He is mine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer